VeriSign's rapid DNS updates in .com/.net (fwd from ml)

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Thu Jul 22 17:27:22 UTC 2004

I got forwarded this URL from Patrick McManus. I haven't had a chance to
read the paper myself yet so I won't comment on it. I've included the link
and the abstract below.

A choice quote is "these results suggest that the performance of DNS is
not as dependent on aggressive caching as is commonly believed, and that
the widespread use of dynamic, low-TTL A-record bindings should not
degrade DNS performance."

http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/papers/dns-imw2001.html

Abstract:

This paper presents a detailed analysis of traces of DNS and associated
TCP traffic collected on the Internet links of the MIT Laboratory for
Computer Science and the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and
Technology (KAIST). The first part of the analysis details how clients at
these institutions interact with the wide-area DNS system, focusing on
performance and prevalence of failures. The second part evaluates the
effectiveness of DNS caching.

In the most recent MIT trace, 23% of lookups receive no answer; these
lookups account for more than half of all traced DNS packets since they
are retransmitted multiple times. About 13% of all lookups result in an
answer that indicates a failure. Many of these failures appear to be
caused by missing inverse (IP-to-name) mappings or NS records that point
to non-existent or inappropriate hosts. 27% of the queries sent to the
root name servers result in such failures.

The paper presents trace-driven simulations that explore the effect of
varying TTLs and varying degrees of cache sharing on DNS cache hit rates.
The results show that reducing the TTLs of address (A) records to as low
as a few hundred seconds has little adverse effect on hit rates, and that
little benefit is obtained from sharing a forwarding DNS cache among more
than 10 or 20 clients. These results suggest that the performance of DNS
is not as dependent on aggressive caching as is commonly believed, and
that the widespread use of dynamic, low-TTL A-record bindings should not
degrade DNS performance.

Sam