VeriSign's rapid DNS updates in .com/.net

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Thu Jul 22 12:05:01 UTC 2004

On 22.07 12:26, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> I dont see any reference to adjusting the TTL in the verisign announcement.

Correct.

> They say they will update the zones every 5 minutes from the registry data.
>
> These are not the same things (or did I miss that bit?)

Correct.

> Also, isnt a lot of this dependent on the NS records in the second level gtlds
> which is hosted by the ISPs.. so this part doesnt change?

Correct.

What I am concerned about is the pressure to lower TTLs across the board
if the increase in zone update speed creates expectations that it alone
cannot fulfill.

I observe this being sold as "instantaneous updates" instead of
"instantaneous additions".  When this becomes clear the pressure will be
to deliver what the salespeople promised.  This will result inthe obvious
"soloution": Lower TTLs everywhere.

I am not sure the DNS will remain stable if TTLs are lowered to
a couple of seconds throughout.

I am suggesting clearer marketing:
"Quick additions: Yes.  Quick changes/deletions: No."

Note that I am not concerned about *judicious* lowering of TTLs
in preparation for changes or to provide services such as akamai.
It is more a general trend of many independent actors serving nor real
purpose that worries me.

Caveat emptor.

Daniel