T1 short-haul vs. long-haul

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Wed Jul 21 17:57:20 UTC 2004

>> I don't think standard ethernet pinouts are correct.  You want a cable
>> with pins 1&2 on one twisted pair and 4&5 on another (7&8 for DDS 56K).

Correct has nothing to do with it.
Any straight-through cable will work just fine.  It's just from the
jack to the equipment...  and it's already been specified that the
extended demarc has been made to the place specified by the customer
(i.e., near the router).

If you're only going 14 feet (up a wall, across a ladder, down a rack)
then you can use silver satin, or just about any straight-through cable
you find on the floor or under the tiles or in the trunk of your car.

-mark