T1 short-haul vs. long-haul

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Wed Jul 21 17:38:05 UTC 2004

Jon R. Kibler wrote:
> Andre:
>
> If your distance for the short-haul is less than 10 miles or so
 > (line-of-sight), I would go wireless. Reasons:
>    a) you can get 10-30MBps on wireless vs. 1.4Mbps for T1.
>    b) if you already have an antenna or other high-point, you can
 > own the wireless network for about what the Telco would charge for
> a T-1 over about a year.
>
> If you really want a wire circuit, for long-haul or short-haul,
 > consider multiple xDSL connections. For example, under the current
> pricing we are seeing, we can install 8 ADSL circuits for about what
> one T-1 would cost. With 8 ADSLs, you would be getting >10 Mbps inbound
> and 2.8Mbps outbound -- equivalent to 8 inbound T-1s and 2 outbound T-1s
> for the same price as a single T-1.

Sorry, I meant "short-haul" and "long-haul" in the electrical sense
for the length of the cable line between two devices speaking the T1
line format (B8ZS).  Some documentation I have read refers the to the
two T1 types DSX-1 and DS-1 as short- and long-haul.

Going Wireless is not an option since the distance will be the same as
between major US cities.  Going ADSL is not an option because of
reliablility issues and its 'hackish' implementation.

--
Andre