T1 short-haul vs. long-haul

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Jul 21 14:36:59 UTC 2004

Robert Boyle wrote:

> You can travel up to 655 ft. with a T1 cable from the NTU which the
> phone company will drop at your site. According to the letter of the
> specs, you are supposed to use "T1 cable" two 22AWG pairs individually
> shielded to prevent cross-talk. In practice, we have extended DMarcs up
> to 200-300 feet with regular Cat 3/4/5/6 cable and have never had any
> problems or out of spec. cross-talk as a result.

Kentrox used to have a white paper regarding demarcation extensions.
They indicated that regular Cat 3/5 cable could likely be used to
1000-2000 feet, and individually-shielded twisted pair cable could go
6000 feet.  As noted above, crosstalk is normally the critical factor in
the distance "game".

pt