BGP Dampening question

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Jul 19 21:06:32 UTC 2004

On 16-jul-04, at 5:46, D Train wrote:

> If I keep seeing the physical connection to City A flapping, of course
> bgp will flap, but will I be able to use route dampening to control
> the instability

No. BGP flap dampening only works on routes that go up and down
periodically while the BGP session they're learned over stays up. When
the session goes down the dampening info is removed.

But it doesn't matter: you're screwed both ways. If you keep routing
stable you lose packets, if you import the flapping into your routing
protocols those become unstable. You need stable links.