Regional differences in P2P

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Sun Jul 18 18:44:10 UTC 2004

Walter De Smedt wrote:

>The next step in P2P recognition seems to be deep packet inspection with
>signature based detection. The major problem here is scalability - I
>don't see some device analyzing 1G, the typical uplink capacity of
>Internet gateways in a medium SP network, of traffic at layer 7.
>If this should be feasable, what if P2P applications would employ
>encryption schemes (e.g. IPSec) - this would render signature-based
>recognition useless.

We can do realistically 1.3G with current bits. I´m not ready to talk
about performance by the end of the year. As a bonus, you'll get
classification and population reports for both p2p and backdoored /
virused hosts without performance impact.
(export these with BGP4 to fancy effects, or simple ACL / firewall list
for more traditional approach)

Pete