Looking for recommendations for Datacenter off CA Faultline

Jonathan Nichols jnichols at pbp.net
Sat Jul 17 02:00:08 UTC 2004

> Yep. Keep in mind that W.Tasman to Sacramento is a 2 hour drive at any
> given time and 3 1/2 hours on a Friday afternoon. Also, if you enjoy
> night life, Sacramento is not the best location on earth.

Yeah, that's something else to consider. Sometimes it's faster to take
Amtrak than it is to drive. Scary if you have to get to the data center
in any sort of a hurry...
Not much for nightlife, but if you're downtown and want to start a "pub
crawl" - couldn't be easier.

> However, the seismic data is good and there's plenty of fiber, lots of
> companies have moved their data here because they don't want to be
> caught by "the big one" when it comes to the bay.

There's also the nice big Government installations in the area. Lots of
fiber.

RagingWire also seems to be pretty stable.. unlike Relera and Inflow,
which packed up and left the area.

Anywhere you go in California, you're going to run into a fault line.
The Sacramento area is fairly stable one as far as that's concerned.
RagingWire is also *not* located in a flood plain - it's not too far
outside of the downtown area.

There's even a Fry's Electronics not too far if you *really* need some
spare parts!

(I may be preaching to the choir, here.. forgive me if I am.)
> http://www.datanoc.net/default.htm (heard some bad)

Subset of lanset.net, if I recall correctly. Interesting folks.

> http://www.o1.com/ (avoid at any cost)

Heh. No comment.