Regional differences in P2P

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jul 16 20:59:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Private FTP sites seem to be more common among those who trade
> unlicensed, copyrighted material for profit.  This is clearly
> criminal.  Certainly this isn't what your average P2P user is doing.

Has anyone ever done a money trail investigation regarding this? The only
people I ever thought was making money off of copyrighted material was the
people selling "warez CDs" in the small ads in the paper, and that was 5-8
ago. Back then it was quite common for people to pay to get a CDR with
stuff, I haven't heard about that in a long time now.

I would believe that most of the money now being made is from counterfit
software where people put up basically a whole organisation with printing
presses for manuals, real CD/DVD pressing equipment and perhaps even the
holographic mark, and shrinkwrap it all and sell it as the real thing.

That has very little to do with p2p, though. I am not aware of any money
changing hands in p2p.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se