BGP Dampening question

D Train dtrain_04 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 03:46:54 UTC 2004

I was needing to know if anyone could assist in helping me find a solution to a problem I am experiencing. Here is the scenario:

I have an AS 20, that has 2 circuits one to city A, and one to City B. City A and City B are in another AS, lets say AS 1. In my AS 20, I am learning the default route via EBGP, from City A,through my primary link, and also have a static route configured to traverse my secondary link, to City B. If I keep seeing the physical connection to City A flapping, of course bgp will flap, but will I be able to use route dampening to control the instability in AS 20? Will I be able to tweak route dampening to where I will be able to just use the secondary for say a set time, before it will try to use the primary link, even if this connection is continuously flapping? I am hoping that I will be able to tweak dampening to where it will just use my secondary link, until I can fix my primary link, w/o having to manually shut the interface, or shut bgp?
I apologize if this is a bit off topic...

TIA,
D-