Problems with private justice (was Re: Spyware becomes increasingly malicious)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Jul 13 08:20:13 UTC 2004

> > I guess the big question is, is there anyone (other than those profiting
> > directly from CWS) that would complain if a provider were to do such a
> > thing...
>
> looks like a psi-net "pink contract" inherited by cogent.  but since the
> psi->cogent rollup was an asset sale rather than a corporate merger, cogent
> probably isn't bound by that contract.  somebody needs to get on the phone,
> i guess.

This is a problem with implementing private justice.  Do you have all the
facts?

The CWS trojans are not downloaded from the Cool Web Search site.

Could this be a Joe job by someone who doesn't like the owners of Cool Web
Search? The owners of the Cool Web Search company deny they are the
creators nor affiliated with the creaters of the CWS trojans.  Maybe they
are lying.  Maybe other Joe jobs have lied too.

Blocking or de-peering the service provider for Cool Web Search will not
prevent you from being infected with CWS trojans any more than blocking or
de-peering the service provider for Google will prevent you from being
infected with Google trojans, or blocking and de-peering the service
provider of Paypal will prevent people from sending you mail offering
to update your Paypal account information, or blocking and de-peering SCO
would prevent people from being infected with viruses which attacked the
SCO web site.

I don't have all the facts.  Maybe someone else does.