Spyware becomes increasingly malicious

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Jul 12 16:28:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 04:18:34PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:

> somebody, probably sean, mentioned scaling earlier in this thread.

> > > the first time only about 3 days ago and I got rid of it in 10 minutes!
> > > I can see how it would be a problem for a newbie but it shouldn't be
> > > anything more than 10 minutes work for anyone here with Windows
> > > experience.
> > There are dozen of variants, obviously you've seen only one.
>
> so, this bit of spyware (which was resistant to ad-aware as of last week,
> though ad-aware seems to publish a new definition file every day now) relies
> on a web site, and that web site relies on the spyware for its traffic and
> eyeballs, and the spyware and website are owned/operated/"published" by the
> same company.  the website does not move around, it's at a fixed location.
>
> the scaling issue, please:
>
>         "why does that company still have an internet connection?"
>
> or, to put it less mildly:
>
>         "why does that company's provider still have an upstream?"
>
> or, to put it in terms you can all understand:
>
>         "why does that provider's upstream still have bgp peers?"
>
> if you give people the means to hurt you, and they do it, and you take no
> action except to continue giving them the means to hurt you, and they take
> no action except to keep hurting you, then one of the ways you can describe
> the situation is "it isn't scaling well."

http://www.webhelper4u.com/CWS/cwsoriginial.html

These folks? Looks like it's all Cogent. Surely someone has contacted
Cogent about this?

network:ID:NET-42FA4A8019
network:Network-Name:NET-42FA4A8019
network:IP-Network:66.250.74.128/25
network:Org-Name:HyperSpace Communications
network:Street-Address: 74 West Street
network:City:Waltham
network:State:MA
network:Postal-Code:02451