[WAY OT]: concern over public peering points...

Edward Lewis edlewis at arin.net
Thu Jul 8 17:42:54 UTC 2004

In a job long ago, at a gov't facility that was non-military yet had
a "secret" building...probably in 1993 give or take a year...

There was a lone Macintosh computer (not even a workstation) in an
unsecured room of a secured building plugged into a small hub that
was FOIRL'd (10BaseFL) out of the building, along an atrium, into the
neighboring unsecured building.  In a nondescript office of the
unsecured building, the FOIRL was connected to Thinnet.  The Thinnet
snaked around the office, behind desks, etc., to a small 10BaseT hub
which went into the wall (as Cat V).  At the other end was a
Cabletron hub I was managing for the Campus-wide Network.

FOIRL was used because, being fiber and not EMF radiating copper, it
was secure enough for the secured building.  At least according to
the facility security officer.  I suppose that the thinnet was used
because they couldn't find a FOIRL to 10BaseT repeater.

;)
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

"I can't go to Miami.  I'm expecting calls from telemarketers." -
Grandpa Simpson.