802.17 RPR and L2 Ethernet interoperablity (Ethernet over RPR)

sam_ml at spacething.org sam_ml at spacething.org
Tue Jul 6 18:50:24 UTC 2004

Hi,

This is probably a fairly simply question, I'm probably just not quite
groking the layers involved here.

If I had the following setup:

Endstation A -- Switch A === RPR Ring === Switch B -- Endstation B

could there be a VLAN setup such that Endstations A and B are both in it,
and can communicate as if they are on the same LAN segment? (And I mean
natively. ie. not using an MPLS VPN). ie. Will the switches involved
tranlate the different framing formats in use? Is this vendor dependent?

Sam