Quick circuit question.

Edward B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Tue Jul 6 15:39:41 UTC 2004

SJW> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:25:28 +0100 (BST)
SJW> From: Stephen J. Wilcox

SJW> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Drew Weaver wrote:
SJW>
SJW> DW> We have 1 DS-3, that if we get close to 45Mbps IN/OUT
SJW> DW> the other direction will be completely unusable.

Calculated on what time interval?  If that's a five-minute
average, you probably have some serious backpressure spikes that
you're missing.  (Are you running xRED to get traffic to back
off?)

SJW> are you sure when you run the line at 100% in one direction
SJW> you're not either a) returning the ping/traffic down the
SJW> congested DS3 or b) disrupting control traffic - ospf,
SJW> keepalives etc that is upsetting the link

How about less exotic things... like ACKs? :-)  Or perhaps DNS
resolution is slow.  I don't know exactly what the problem is, as
a "my Internet isn't working" post is rather vague. :-(

At any rate, this thread probably fits better on isp-bandwidth,
perhaps isp-tech... maybe even i-a.  Posting to list just in case
there are lurkers who didn't know, but the other lists are more
fitting for questions like this.

Eddy
--
EverQuick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/