concern over public peering points [WAS: Peering point speed publicly available?]

Mark Borchers mborchers at igillc.com
Tue Jul 6 15:31:26 UTC 2004

> Thanks. Precisely the issue. Being humans involved in this, there is a
> tendency to sometimes hack around a problem and then leave it in
> place. I know I am susceptible to this and have to be on guard against
> this mentality at all times. And I've seen plenty of this in
> various orgs.
> The key here is to maintain an engineering discipline and be
> on constant
> guard against 'just this once' kind of thought. There should be no
> negotiations
> with yourself.
>
> Even the best of intentions lead to massive entropy when
> doing hacks around
> issues.
>
> Temporary fixes aren't.
>
> /vijay

Setting aside the issue of abandoning media after you stop
using it, a cable run based on a handshake between two tenants
in a telco hotel CAN lead to nightmares when it goes down.
On the other hand, if you figure out a way to document it, and
have field support lined up, it may turn out to be more easily
restored than an "official" interconnect.  :-)