concern over public peering points [WAS: Peering point speed publicly available?]

vijay gill vgill at vijaygill.com
Tue Jul 6 15:15:55 UTC 2004

--On Tuesday, July 06, 2004 08:46 -0400 Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org>
wrote:

> Everyone running their cable wherever they want with no controls,
> and abandoning it all in place makes a huge mess, and is one way
> to think about it.
[snipped]

> I believe the problem Vijay is referencing isn't "throw it over the
> wall", but rather where people have to hide the fact that they are
> throwing it over the wall.  When some colo providers want to do
> things like charge a 0-mile local loop for a fiber across the room
> people think it's too much, and run their own "over the wall" fiber.
> However since it's technically not allowed it's hidden, unlabeled,
> abandoned when unused, and creates a huge mess.

Thanks. Precisely the issue. Being humans involved in this, there is a
tendency to sometimes hack around a problem and then leave it in
place. I know I am susceptible to this and have to be on guard against
this mentality at all times. And I've seen plenty of this in various orgs.
The key here is to maintain an engineering discipline and be on constant
guard against 'just this once' kind of thought. There should be no
negotiations
with yourself.

Even the best of intentions lead to massive entropy when doing hacks around
issues.

Temporary fixes aren't.

/vijay