concern over public peering points [WAS: Peering point speed publicly available?]

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Jul 6 00:00:22 UTC 2004

On Jul 5, 2004, at 2:02 PM, vijay gill wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 10:55:42AM -0700, joe mcguckin wrote:
>>
>> $5000 for an ethernet switch port? It makes me long for the days of
>> throwing
>> ethernet cables over the ceiling to informally peer with other
>> networks in a

> Throwing ethernet cables over the ceiling does not scale.

Sure it does.  The question is: "How far does it scale?"  Nothing
scales to infinity, and very, very few things do not scale past the
degenerate case of 1.

If you s/ethernet cables/optical fibers/, it scales even further.
Especially since this is not being used for all his traffic.

Not everyone needs a terabit of exit capacity.  Guaranteeing everything
you do is close to infinitely scalable is a Bad Idea for people who do
not.

And even if you do need a terabit of exit capacity, nothing wrong with
the occasional OC768 routed through the ceiling. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick