concern over public peering points [WAS: Peering point speed publicly available?]

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Sat Jul 3 13:32:45 UTC 2004

      On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
    > The price being charged for the public exchange ports is non-trivial

Only at the (very few) commercial exchanges.  The vast majority are free
or of trivial expense.  But some people really like to lose money, since
then they get to hang out with VCs and feel like movers and shakers,
rather than feeling like peons who have to actually turn a profit.

    > Personally I've never understood why US exchange port operators havn't
    > insisted on some kind of "80% utilization over Xth percentile and you must
    > upgrade" rule.

No idea.  It works well elsewhere.  I think people here just don't like
the idea of being told what to do.

                                -Bill