concern over public peering points [WAS: Peering point speed publicly available?]

ren ren at gweep.net
Sat Jul 3 12:28:50 UTC 2004

At 02:07 AM 7/3/2004 -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>b) The price being charged for the public exchange ports is non-trivial
>    (especially compared to the cost of transit these days!), and is billed
>    on a port basis instead of a usage basis (at least in the US). Since
>    public peering is treated as a "necessary evil", with traffic moved to
>    much more economical private peers when they start getting full, no one
>    wants to provision extra capacity ahead of demand (in fact, in the US
>    it is exceedingly rare to see anyone with 2 ports on a single public
>    exchange).

<hi ras!>  As one of the folks who gets questioned by Sales all the time
about the reasons behind the multiple shared fabric ports at the IXs I'll
gladly explain why we have 14 in the US at present and are preparing for
~5-10 abroad.

1. Trials.  There are some networks who are not ready to properly manage
private peering, they should be but they are not.  A 90-day 'try before you
buy' helps reduce the nickel & diming to a budget that remote hands and
inventory adjustments chew.  IMHO, if they do not have their operations
activities in order they should not be a peer and that is one of the
criteria we verify.

2. PNI sizing. Some networks really don't know how much traffic they will
have to other networks when adding peering relations.  If they argue about
sizing it is best to drop them on to shared fabrics first to confirm with
visuals what is flowing.

3. PNIs do not guarantee congestion avoidance.  Unfortunately private
peering does not remove congestion with some networks, it just shifts
it.  The peering relations community is well networked with each other.  We
know which network offenders have capacity issues regardless of public or
private options.

4. International peers.  Rarely are two network foot prints or goals for
business the same.  I would rather make available the unique international
routes to our customers than miss that opportunity by being a public
peering snob.  This also allows the view towards new markets which rely
heavily on shared fabrics.  While not customary in the US, many EU peering
IXs are multiple interconnected buildings managed by a single IX vendor at
the shared fabric layer.  Connecting to the shared fabric is an easy way to
reach those networks in various buildings without dark fiber complexities.

5. Costs.  Private peering is expensive, don't let anyone fool you.  There
is a resource investment in human terms that is rarely calculated properly,
all the way from planning of inventory to planning for capacity augments
after the physical install.  It is often difficult to capture the cost to
roll all those fibers that are improperly installed.  This I'm sure you are
painfully aware of <G>.

6. Management. Set a range of expectations on levels for monitoring,
hardware, power, staff time, and capacity upgrade paths by designating some
peers in a 'group' vs. monitoring all as individuals.

I encourage authors of RFPs to stop placing such an unnecessary stigma on
public peering.  Those networks without the benefit of options for
interconnecting should be penalized for failure to evolve.   Quite likely
they are not connected to the growing sources in the current peering
game.  What is this called... the bagel syndrome? -ren