concern over public peering points [WAS: Peering point speed publi cly available?]

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) fergdawg at netzero.net
Sat Jul 3 05:17:27 UTC 2004

Indeed, I agree.

I remember earlier times when there were serious concerns over
serious traffic bottlenecks, primarily due to the lag in speed-of-bits-on-the-wire technology ramp up. I recall the
NSFnet backbone at a whopping 56kb trunk speed prior to the
node transition(s)!

We, collectively, have left those days behind for the most part.

Now, it's just a matter of "five-pound-bag" engineering.

I'm quite proud and happy to see this experiment succeed to
the point where we have the "problems" we do.  ;-)

Cheers,

- ferg

-- Patrick W Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:

Today, even free NAPs pass gigabits of traffic and do it robustly.

If you have counter examples, I would be interested in seeing them.  A
lot of traffic passes on NAPs, and I'd hate to see any of it not get to
where it was going.

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg at netzero.net or