Peering point speed publicly available?

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Fri Jul 2 14:23:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 19:09:52 -0500
"Erik Amundson" <erik at myevilempire.net> wrote:

> I have a question regarding information on my ISP's peering relationships.
> Are the speeds of some or all peering relationships public knowledge, and if
> so, where can I find this?  By speed, I mean bandwidth (DS3, OC3, 100Mbps,

In addition to some of the other answers, you can sometimes discover
peering relationships and even infer some routing policing at public
exchanges if you 1) have access to a host on each of the provider's
networks (near the exchange preferably) and 2) you can rely on the
public address scheme provided by the exchange operator to be used
for peering.

So for example, if you have a host on provider X's network, run a series
of traceroutes to each of the exchange IP space.  If the traceroute
reaches the far side, you can infer that peering is established.  If not
traceroute results in a TTL failure or unreachable message, you can infer
that peering is not established.

Finding hosts behind each network is often as easy as finding publicly
accessible traceroute pages such as those found on traceroute.org.

Note, this is far from full proof.  For a number of reasons there will
be false positives and false negatives if you try to rely on this as the
only source of info for peering discovery.

John