ARIN Comment

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Jul 1 20:29:08 UTC 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 4:15 PM, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> I was also concerned, until I read the actual pleadings.
>
> Although nobody's ever allowed us (AS19933) more than 1 month to
> renumber, and we've always had to pay both providers during the time,
> so we've always kept it as short as possible anyway....

But now you can get PI space and take well over a year to renumber into
it without fear of ARIN asking for it back.

NAC may not have posted the whole proceeding at first, but Alex was
very clear he wanted commentary only on the allocation policies.  Some
of us (me included) took it a bit farther.  Now it is clear from ARIN -
who is supposedly in charge of this stuff in "America" - that nothing
is wrong with taking months after your contract expires to number out
of PA space, and over a year to renumber into PI space once it is
granted.  So I guess commentary is no longer needed (except maybe at
ARIN meetings?).

The first is somewhat customary but by no means universally practiced.
Now it seems to be officially sanctioned.  I was under the obviously
incorrect impression the latter was against ARIN policy.

Glad we have official clarification.

--
TTFN,
patrick