CIsco 7206VXR w/NPE-G1 Question

matt at petach.org matt at petach.org
Sat Jan 31 01:48:16 UTC 2004

> That is of course, as opposed to Juniper, which is truly line-rate at any
> interface, with any services, at any composition of traffic.

No.  While I was at my former employer, we took our edge
ACL into the Juniper POC lab, and verified that an M40
stuffed full of OC48 linecards could sustain just over
85% of line rate with our edge ACL applied before sustaining
packet loss; the POC lab engineers double checked and
verified that there was nothing wrong with the test, that
was simply the most the IPII processors could handle with
that particularly hairy ACL.

There's no such thing as a perfect router--there will always
be conditions under which any given device has suboptimal
(read "sub-line-rate") performance.  The trick is establishing
what traffic patterns show up in *your* network, and purchase
the appropriate hardware for _your_ traffic patterns.

> -alex

Matt