MS is vulnerable

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Thu Jan 29 18:14:10 UTC 2004

On Jan 29, 2004, at 12:31 PM, Michel Py wrote:

> If the Powershot was designed as a Mac-only camera, it's Canon's
> stupidity. I never used one, but when I plug my Sony cybershot to any
> PC
> it comes up right away without any software.

I should withdraw this comment.  After I sent the message, I realized
that my comment was unfounded.  Sorry.

> Since Macs are available in stores, how do you explain that they don't
> get the lion's share of the market if they're so superior to the PeeCee
> as you claim?
> Guess what: the Wintel platform became standard, over the established
> leader (Apple). Because IBM and Microsoft managed to produced what the
> market wanted to buy, instead of what a few gurus in an ivory tower in
> Cupertino thought what the ultimate PC would be.

Yes, and the guys in the white ivory tower realized that they err'd.

I'm glad they have only 3% market share.  I doubt they will ever get
past 5-10% market share and that's not a bad thing, it's a good thing
(tm)  because that will mean they will never be plagued with the
problems MS has.  They (Apple) make a great product, IMO far superior
to anything that can be found in PC land.  To that end, I'm happy being
one of the 3% watching the masses of the 97% struggle.

>> When the last big MS virus/worm caused it's major shitstorm,
>> my mom asked me if I ever get infected with viruses. I said
>> no, I run a Mac. They are immune to these viruses.
>
> Complete BS. There are Mac viruses allright, and the reason these worms
> target the Windows platform is simply because there are much more of
> them and therefore an Outlook worm is much more likely to succeed than
> Mac worm.

"They are immune to these viruses" actually meant these viruses/works
specifically causing the havoc in the last year or so.  Sorry for not
being more clear.

> If Apple is still around with 3% of the market, it's because Bill Gates
> bailed them out as he wanted to keep a competitor alive when they were
> in the feds cross-hairs because of that monopoly thing. I'll tell you
> what: if you know how to make the Mac the dominant platform, go see
> Steve Jobs and ask for 100 million bucks in cash in exchange for the
> tip.

Jobs is hardly a competitor for Gates.  3% to what?  90%? I hardly call
that competition.

> And if you're not happy with Windows, you're free to write a
> competitive
> product to replace it. That's what Microsoft did to Apple 20 years ago,
> BTW. It's called market economy.

I don't need to write anything, I have it already, it runs on my
powerbook.  Like I said, if things hadn't happened the way they did, we
would all be stuck using MS with even less alternatives.  I say again,
IMO Apple builds a superior product.  It's because they only have 3%
market share that product exists.  I'm happy paying the premium because
I get what I pay for.