MS is vulnerable

Jonathan Nichols jnichols at pbp.net
Thu Jan 29 17:53:27 UTC 2004

>>When the last big MS virus/worm caused it's major shitstorm,
>>my mom asked me if I ever get infected with viruses. I said
>>no, I run a Mac. They are immune to these viruses.
>

> Complete BS. There are Mac viruses allright, and the reason these worms
> target the Windows platform is simply because there are much more of
> them and therefore an Outlook worm is much more likely to succeed than a
> Mac worm.

<unlurk>
I'm sorry, but this is a very common misconception. There hasn't been
one single Mac virus in several years, and I believe that one was a
Microsoft Word macro virus. Or, maybe Autostart 9805 - but that was
discovered in May, 1998. How many Windows viruses have shown up in the
past few years?

Apache powers far more websites than IIS, yet IIS has suffered a much
larger number of exploits.

The reason there aren't any Mac viruses most certainly is *not* because
"there are not as many of them." One could even go so far as to say that
the Mac would be a more likely target because of Apple's security
claims. It's a much more high-profile target. Imagine the boasting
rights one would have if they could get a Mac virus to spread in these
modern days!

<lurks once again>

-Jonathan