MS is vulnerable

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Jan 29 17:31:51 UTC 2004

> Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> When we got to where we were going, my mom was complaining
> that her digital camera flash was full and she didn't have
> another one.  I told her that I could download the pictures
> to my powerbook and email them to her later. As I was
> connecting the camera, she asked "Well, don't you need
> to download and install the softw...." she stopped
> mid-sentence as the Mac found the PowerShot, opened
> iphoto and proceeded to download the pictures -- no
> software needed.  She looked Jealous.

If the Powershot was designed as a Mac-only camera, it's Canon's
stupidity. I never used one, but when I plug my Sony cybershot to any PC
it comes up right away without any software.

Since Macs are available in stores, how do you explain that they don't
get the lion's share of the market if they're so superior to the PeeCee
as you claim?

I have had an Apple computer for 25 years (1979 that is, and I still
have my II plus). In the early eighties Apple dominated the personal
computer market (yes there were TRS-80s and Commodore 64s, but Apple was
the leader). Then they released the Apple ///, then the Lisa, then the
Mac. At the same time, IBM released the PC, which was an overpriced
piece of crud.

Guess what: the Wintel platform became standard, over the established
leader (Apple). Because IBM and Microsoft managed to produced what the
market wanted to buy, instead of what a few gurus in an ivory tower in
Cupertino thought what the ultimate PC would be.

> When the last big MS virus/worm caused it's major shitstorm,
> my mom asked me if I ever get infected with viruses. I said
> no, I run a Mac. They are immune to these viruses.

Complete BS. There are Mac viruses allright, and the reason these worms
target the Windows platform is simply because there are much more of
them and therefore an Outlook worm is much more likely to succeed than a
Mac worm.

If Apple is still around with 3% of the market, it's because Bill Gates
bailed them out as he wanted to keep a competitor alive when they were
in the feds cross-hairs because of that monopoly thing. I'll tell you
what: if you know how to make the Mac the dominant platform, go see
Steve Jobs and ask for 100 million bucks in cash in exchange for the
tip.

And if you're not happy with Windows, you're free to write a competitive
product to replace it. That's what Microsoft did to Apple 20 years ago,
BTW. It's called market economy.

Michel.