Verizon mail troubles

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Thu Jan 29 03:47:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Bob Snyder wrote:

> Andy Dills wrote:
>
> >Getting Verizon to do anything involving the internet, even if you possess
> >the phone number of the department to call, is impossible. They do a good
> >job with circuits. They do an abysmal job with IP and related issues.
> >

> This must be a different Verizon than I dealt with at a colo/small ISP
> facility then, 'cause the Verizon I dealt with wasn't real great with
> circuits either. At least, compared to the job the IXCs did at a former
> job of mine...

Verizon? Colo? ISP?

You must have been acquired somewhere along the way...in Maryland, native
territory, colo is not even a product available to you unless you have LEC
status, and even then, space is usually so limited that it's not worth
your time trying. And if you do, the procedure involved takes months and
is outrageously expensive compared to industry pricing.

But they've never had a sonet outage once in our entire time of doing
business with them. So they do employ competent people. Plenty of them.
But they aren't concerned with IP or SMTP.

Now, they do have some decent engineers, to be fair. You just have to
manipulate your way through to them...they're in really short supply on
the internet end of things.

Andy

---
Andy Dills