Don't Panic II (Re: updated root hints file)

bill bmanning at karoshi.com
Thu Jan 29 03:19:49 UTC 2004

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Coppola, Brian wrote:
> > In preparation for tomorrow morning's B-root IP change from 128.9.0.107 to
> > 192.228.79.201 we have posted updated root hints files.  They are available
> > from the following URLs:
>
> sean.donalen sez:
> Network operators using "golden networks" to control route flap dampening
> will need to update their BGP dampening configuration for the new address
> and to remove the old address.  Until updated, dampening may incorrectly
> ignore routes to the new address during periods of network instability.
> In practice, this is a rare occurance and the other root servers will
> still be configured.

	"B" will continue to answer on -BOTH- addresses for at least
	24 months. Even so, we encourage ISPs and DNS admins to make
	the changes at their earliest opportunity.  That will leave the
	"tail" to clean up after those folks who may not be avid NANOG
	readers. :)  Questions?

--bill
<bmanning at karoshi.com>
+1.310.322.8102