Cisco 7600

Christopher J. Wolff chris at bblabs.com
Mon Jan 26 22:35:15 UTC 2004

Tim,

I can't speak to the 7600 series from experience (I'm using the 6509 with
MSFC2); however, my opinion is that Cisco continues to market their routers
as suitable for core routing whereas the routers are 'just acceptable' as an
edge aggregation device.

Several weeks ago there was a lively debate on Nanog regarding cisco
performance, if I recall correctly, one party indicated that they upgraded
from a 7206 NPE400 to a GSR and only saw a 30% improvement in CPU
utilization.  That's a lot of bling bling for 30%...

I need only a few high capacity interfaces but a lot more acl, mpls, qos
crunching horsepower than what I can get from Cisco right now.  I'm curious
whether vitamin J is a better option for the core at a specific price point.

It would be great to have a comparison chart that showed a correlation
between a Cisco Mach GT and Juniper Diablo at each key price point, $25,000,
$50,000, $75,000 and so on.

YMMV,
Christopher J. Wolff