Are SW upgrades needed in MPLS core networks?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Jan 26 20:27:08 UTC 2004

Hi,

Just taking a quick poll, as we don't use MPLS and I think this is an
interesting thing to know.

One of the many (maybe misguided) arguments for MPLS is that you don't
need to perform softwqare (or other similar) upgrades in the core
network, and the "intelligence" is pushed to the to the edges of the
MPLS cloud.

I'd like to get a feel how correct this "argument" is in practice.
So, if you have had to upgrade the core equipment, please tell.  If
you haven't (due to the "MPLS design"), that might be interesting as
well.  If you had to upgrade, please also indicate the reason for that
(fixing bugs ("minor upgrade")?  providing new features, if so which
features? etc.?)

Please respond off-list if you feel so.  Thanks.