Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

variable at ednet.co.uk variable at ednet.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 14:22:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Jeff Kell wrote:

> We're running 30 SVIs on a 3550-12 (only 10 active at the moment, we're
> in a transition).  It is an aggregation switch that feeds back via L3.

According to the documentation on the Cisco site:

The 3550-12 is only capable of handling 16 SVIs in hardware (regardless of
SDM template), after that you get into "resource exhaustion" which means
it add the SVIs, but will go back to software/CPU-based routing.  Does the
3550/3750 give any indication that it's in this state (software routing)
other than melting under high traffic volumes?

We're currently waiting on Cisco getting back to us on figures for the
3750, but given that it has a similar TCAM setup to the 3550-12, I'd doubt
it would be different.

Rich