Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Sun Jan 25 19:44:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:13:45PM +0100, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> Does anybody know of 1U - 2U form factor Ethernet switches that can
> handle 4K VLANs, or at a minimum 2000 VLANs?  Note that we're
> specifically looking for the ability to handle this number of VLANs
> operating simultaneously, not only VLAN *IDs* in the full 4K range.

I would check the Foundry Fastiron series - maybe the 4802. Everything
I've read appears to indicate they support all 4096 vlans
simultaneously, although you will of course want to verify this.

Extreme also appear to support 4096 vlans - you'd be looking at the
Summit 200 or Summit 48si for that.

Even Cisco's new 3750 Metro only supports 1024 vlans - but both this and
it's similarly-named predecessors are aimed as CPE; I suppose this is
because they want you to fork out for 6500.