Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jan 25 19:44:22 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> Does anybody know of 1U - 2U form factor Ethernet switches that can
> handle 4K VLANs, or at a minimum 2000 VLANs?  Note that we're
> specifically looking for the ability to handle this number of VLANs
> operating simultaneously, not only VLAN *IDs* in the full 4K range.

Extreme Summit48si.

> The switches should have 12 - 24 Fast Ethernet ports. Some form of "Q
> in Q" or stackable VLANs, ie. the ability to handle more than one VLAN
> tag, is vital.

You can do this by changing the ethertype of VLANs, Extreme calls this
VMAN (9100 for vlans intead of 8100). This requires a network design to
match. The switch has 48 ports and two SFP gig ports.

> Spanning tree is needed, but can be one common spanning tree for all
> VLANs (per-VLAN spanning tree is not needed).

It does that.

> Other features that would be nice to have:
>
> - RSTP (802.w) and MST (802.1s). - A couple of GigE ports (GBIC or SFP
> based, presumably) for uplinks. - L3 (IP routing). - DC power.

I dont know about RSTP and MST, but it does the rest. It also has EAPS for
subsecond L2 failover.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se