Physical Layer Switches / Smart Optical Cross-Connect Panels

Roldan, Brad BRoldan at Covad.COM
Fri Jan 23 17:23:10 UTC 2004

Hey Folks,

   I'm looking for physical layer switch that will allow me to remotely
configure how two ports are cross-connected. The two main benefits would
be that a site only has to be wired once and there is also a potential
for a simplified disaster recovery plan (i.e. one of my boxes melts
down, and I need to bring a standby online without dispatching a tech).

   If I could have the perfect box, it would:
	- Handle fiber (serial connections, ala DS3, would be a bonus)
	- Be protocol agnostic. I want to switch GigE and OC fiber
	  cross-connects. I don't want GigE / POS inter-networking.
	- Be completely passive. If the power fails, all connections
	  will remain active. I suppose this implies some sort of
	  mechanical switching mechanism.
	- Text based CLI mandatory. Web GUI optional.
	- DC powered
	- Did I mention cheap?

   After Googling around this morning, it was unable to find anything
that completely fits the bill. I was only able to come up with 3 vendors
that come close to fitting the bill, each with their own set of pros and
cons:

RAM Electronics (http://www.ramelectronics.net/apcon/patchpanels.htm)
MEMX (http://www.memx.com/cross%20connect.htm)
MRV (http://www.mrv.com/product/MRV-FD-SFPMCC/)

   Anyone have experience with any of these vendors? Are there other
vendors I should be looking at?

   Off-list replies from sales-droids welcome. (An invitation for
punishment, I'm sure ;)

Thanks!

Brad
--