What's the best way to wiretap a network?

Roland Perry nanog at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jan 23 14:08:14 UTC 2004

In article <FA668400-4D69-11D8-BCF8-000A95928574 at kurtis.pp.se>, Kurt
Erik Lindqvist <kurtis at kurtis.pp.se> writes

>(Although I now what the NA...stands for I have to ask)

Plenty of NANOs will have bits of network in the EU (or indeed within
the remit of the Cybercrime Convention which the USA has signed but not
ratified).

>So the EU part is only the tapping requirement? The charging scheme is
>local? Or did I miss all of this?

EU law tends to say things about privacy, human rights, and so on. It
outlaws wiretaps, but then has exemptions to allow individual states to
pass wiretap laws if they feel there's a law enforcement need. Nothing
about cost recovery.

The Cybercrime Convention (a Treaty of the Council of Europe - which is
not the EU - and not a law in its own right) has an article (#21)
*requiring* ratifying states [1] to implement wiretapping, but is also
silent on the cost recovery issue, which would be a matter for the
individual state's legislature.

[1] Only 4 relatively minor states so far, so the Treaty isn't even in
force yet:

http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/EN/searchsig.asp?NT=185&CM=&DF=
--
Roland Perry