Large Mail Provider Throttling

Aaron Thomas athomas at deltacable.com
Fri Jan 23 02:58:26 UTC 2004

There is a package that is being developed right now that basically will
squelch emails received from some domain.com address if the sending IP
address isn't in the list of permitted addresses.

Sender Permitted From (http://spf.pobox.com/) attempts to eliminate Joe
Dropping from domain.com by doing a look up on a TXT record similar to
dccnet.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ptr ip4:24.207.1.0/24 -all".  This would block
mail, with a FROM: address of *@dccnet.com that didn't relay through any of
the MX hosts, originate from any broadband client address (from the prt
record) or from the 24.207.1.0 Class C address space.

As this project is fairly new, there aren't many large domains making use of
it, and the tools available aren't mature enough for some email
implementations (mobile users making use of Hot Spots with SMTP Hijacking
and no submit port opened) for which the sending users IP address isn't
known.  However, I do believe this project will pick up favor to help
eliminate one source of address forgery, which I believe would have helped
in your situation.

AOL had made use of this for 24 hours earlier this month and it resulted in
the blocking of a large volume of spam addressed from aol.com (not
originating from aol.com address space).  Hopefully sites like yahoo,
hotmail and others

Of course the cows have left the barn, but its definitely worth looking at.

Cheers,

Aaron