sniffer/promisc detector

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Thu Jan 22 10:47:24 UTC 2004

I started such scan 10 - 20 minutes ago; it did not completed yet, so I do
not have exact time  (it is DSL -> 100 Mbit link + firewall).

But you results shows just what I am saying - 99% of all attacks was caused
by automated tools, and non-standard ports effectively blocks all such
attacks. I agree to spend some time and set up non-standard ports (and even
explain them to customers), if I decrease rate of attacks 100 - 1000 times
(what really happen if ports are non-standard). If you are not a bank, do
not  host IRC server, and are not SCO, attack rate decreases to absolute 0.
If you run nmap -p1-65000 in automated tool (with 10 minutes / host, and
usually much more), you will scan Internet forever.

So, it pay off.