Nachi/Welchia Aftermath

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jan 21 10:45:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Donovan Hill wrote:

> I guess I just don't understand the architecture. What I really don't
> understand is _why_ you'd bother with flow-based architecture over
> prefix-based architecture..... am I looking green yet?

Since these boxes are priced around $3000-$4000 or so and have multiple
gig ports and loads of 10/100 ports, they make a nice edge/distribution
box.

Extreme I-chipset stuff talk ISIS, OSPF and BGP just fine and have 128
megs of memory, and they do L2/L3 at wirespeed (once the flow is set up).
The L2 is interesting since then you can use it for basically everything
and not L2 or L3, but both in the same box and on the same links.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se