Nachi/Welchia Aftermath

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubens at email.com
Wed Jan 21 01:15:56 UTC 2004

> > Flow-based: Foundry with IronCore modules, Cisco Catalyst 6500 with
Sup1(A)
> > Prefix-based: Foundry with JetCore modules, Cisco Catalyst 6500/7600
with
> > Sup2(A), Sup3(A/BXL)
> Where do the Extreme and Juniper fit into this?

Private and public answers to my question indicate that both Summit 48i and
Black Diamond from Extreme are flow-based; Juniper doesn't make layer 3
switches, but their routers also do prefix-based forwarding; Cisco routers
also do prefix-based forwarding at usual configurations.

Also of notice, flow-based forwarding is not the only thing that makes a L3
device suffer at worm attacks. If a directly connected interface is an
Ethernet (or any other medium that is not point to point), ARPing for a lot
of new addresses per second can also do harm.

Rubens