New IPv4 Allocation to ARIN

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Jan 19 17:40:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> >Alternatively, the RIRs might consider doing this sort of thing before
> >allocating IPs from new blocks.  I know it's not their job to make sure
> >IPs are routable (especially not on every remote network), but as holders
> >of all the IPs, they are in the best position to setup such test sites
> >that would expose problems before they're dumped on members.
>
> And it would be nice if the RIRs funded and supported the
> bogon project that Cymru is running now. Now that the
> self-organizing RIRs have reached the stage where they
> have all signed a joint agreement, perhaps they could
> consider running some joint projects like these?

That would be slightly unfair for ARIN to fund one project (unless they
want to actually do it themselve), considering that are several people
doing bogon projects and team cymru's is actually the simpler one.
ARIN could however do more to help, such as providing special temporary
test blocks on request (or do testing itself before assignments are made
and report results), providing notification before ip block is actually
used. I do note that recent policies concerning IANA which I think we
passed on last meeting, is that ARIN and other RIRs will request ip block
6 months ahead of its projections, perhaps it would be good idea if
somebody from ARIN were to comment if this was done this time and if so,
when is it projected that this ip block will start to be used.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net