What's the best way to wiretap a network?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sun Jan 18 02:19:02 UTC 2004

	I'd have to say this depends on the media involved.

	ethernet switches allow the monitoring of specific ports (or entire
vlans) in most cases.  This can be done without impact (assuming nobody
goofs on the ethernet switch config) to other people and limit the scope
of packets inspected.

	Various vendors have their own monitoring solutions and port
replication features.  I seem to recall one customer of my employer
saying how much they enjoyed the ability to tcpdump/inspect traffic
on their Juniper routers.  (with regards to a DoS attack we were working
on tracking).

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net