sniffer/promisc detector

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Sat Jan 17 23:34:53 UTC 2004

Sorry, but this _honeypot etc_ is _the only_ reliable defence. And, when I
mean honey pot, I do not mean _install ols linux with qpopper and wait_. I
mean that, if trhere is concern about sniffering a network (which is a
little strange, because it is not much use in sniffering switched network_,
this means concern about leaking information.

Usually, you do not get much from sniffering - you can not sniff SSL, can
not sniff Win2K rdesktop, can not sniff 'ssh'. But you can sniff, for
example, keyboard input (and the only protecting agaist such things is
SecireID etc),   can try to get some passwords and so on. So, having frauded
account, even frauded computer, exposing this account into the network, and
tracking any attempt to use it
is a very effective line of defense.

I told already - _do not trust to the smart books about security too much_,
they misinterpret many things. For example, they treat _non standard port
assigments_ as a very ineffective, while in real life such simple (0 cost)
thing decrease a chance of breakage 10 - 1000 times (we investigated 3 month
logs and found, that no one in the whole Internet scans wide range of ports,
and no one in real life uses tools, reporting _real_ protocols, because they
are dramatically slow and so useless). The same here - having frauded,
'labeled', information is a very effective 'complimentary' defense - it let
you know, when thing got really wrong, when you have not other indications.
And it have 0% of false positives (if this account is never used and someone
opened it, he is 100% a hacker or intruder. No any other methods provides
you 0 false positives).

PS. Even if you are listening to MAC broadcasts, you got much more than you
expect. In one poiint, we found , that we had all traffic to one  of the
servers 'broadcasted', reason was complicated - ARP timeout longer than CAM
timeout + nonsimmetrical traffic . You have not any method to detect a
passive sniffer (except a few tricks, which can work with particular OS but
do not work with other systems), have not a good method to detect keyboard
sniffer. So, if you are very serious about security, you must use active
defence.