SMTP problems from *.ipt.aol.com

Chris Lewis clewis at nortelnetworks.com
Sat Jan 17 19:22:28 UTC 2004

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Sean Donelan  [1/17/2004 9:20 AM] :
>
>> True, but it appears AOL has cranked something up in the last couple
>> of weeks or something is choking more often.  If you look at various
>> places where users like to gripe, you'll notice an uptick of queries
>> and complaints on the subject.

> Maybe they finally rolled this out across the board?  AOL has a lot of
> dialup IP space (two /10s I think).

The ipt.* blocking dates back many years, I think the intercepter stuff
does too.

The recommendation from AOL to rDNS block ipt.* dates back several
years, and is mentioned in the current postmaster's guide at AOL.

Over the past several months I noticed we were getting a lot of ipt.*
hits, and Hutzler later said that some of their blocks in (IIRC) Europe
were apparently not working.  Obviously, they just fixed it.

We get virtually nothing but spam from rly.* too, so, we're blocking it
now.  Hutzler remarked "you won't miss much", but I wouldn't take that
as an official pronouncement. We get a handful of FPs on it per month,
and we tell them to use the proper smarthosting.