New IPv4 Allocation to ARIN

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jan 16 22:31:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Petri Helenius wrote:

> >I wouldn't be surprised if more people are filtering 69/8 now than before,
> >roughly 40% of the spam hitting my servers is from there.

That's likely going to be true of each newly allocated block as spammers
move around, move into them, or even scam the RIRs into allocating IPs
directly to them.

> It also seems that 69box.atlantic.net (or someone nearby) is filtering
> one specific size of ICMP packets.
>
> Is certain packet size also considered a "bogon" or is this something
> that will eventually be removed
> from the filters?

It's those dang Nachi-sized ICMP echo/echo-replies.  We block those at all
our transit points and dial-up ports.  Nachi was killing our cisco
access-servers until we did this to stop the spread.

Unfortunately, this breaks Windows tracert as it uses 92-byte echo
requests.  Use a "real" traceroute, and you won't see this problem.

 Atlantic Net                |