Looking for power metering equipment...

David Lesher wb8foz at nrk.com
Thu Jan 15 14:17:47 UTC 2004

> Concur with you need wattage not amperage.  There is a 'relatively' cheap
> method of doing this however local electrical codes may put a damper on
> this type of project.
>
> You put a current transformer on each branch circuit.  A 'typical' current
> transformer will generate 1Millivolt per Milliampere.  You then install a
> A/D board in a PC and write a simple application to query each channel of
> the A/D.  or purchase a commercially available SMNP datalogger.

I assume Alex is looking for a boxed solution. If not concur
it's Not Rocket Science [TM-Click&Clack] to build a system. You
can do the voltage sensing safely. {My too-early AM thinking is
that there will be too little phase shift in an unloaded Voltage
Transformer to worry about.}

You'd need a VT per panel leg, but a CT per branch circuit.

A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz at nrk.com