PC Routers (was Re: /24s run amuck)

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 11:33:29 UTC 2004

> he also said something on the order of "let's not bother to discuss using home
> appliances to build a global network."

Hmm actually I'm not so sure, the trend has been the opposite .. lots of PCs
instead of mainframes and dumb terminals and the Internet itself has been about
spreading out the networking rather than centralizing it.

Todays 'home appliances' have computing power in excess of that of todays
routing equipment, the shortcoming is only the implementation and I think that
is getting pretty close now to doing what we require at the low and medium
end, and I dont see that high end is that difficult.. if the implementation
works its just a matter of scaling, can you buy linecards with their own
backplane yet..? if not I cant see it being hard and if the demand arises...

Steve