PC Routers (was Re: /24s run amuck)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Jan 15 01:31:11 UTC 2004

>> almost all times I hear people saying there is problem
>> with Zebra or Quagga, more than half of all times it
>> is problem with their OS, not the daemon.

> and we care because? the router is a black box. if the
> output is not what is expected, it matters not why.
> though understandable, it is still not acceptable.

The main issues I have with zebra are:
1. The need to install an OS on the host.
2. The need to harden it.
3. The possible hard disk failure (having *nix on ATA flash is no better
given the actual limits in the number of times one can write to flash).

There are things that I don't like with Cisco, but one thing I do like
is that it boots from flash and it takes no time to install an image,
remove the pcmcia card from the router, and boot different images from
the flash with the flip of a config command.

The concept of appliance (vs. computer) comes to mind.

That being said,

How does zebra deal with QOS/priority/custom/queuing/LLQ? With CAR? With
IDS? With route redistribution to/from OSPF or ISIS? With multichassis
multilink PPP? With spanning tree on multiple VLANs? With peer groups?
With SNMP?

How does the host deal with 802.1q trunks? With Channel interfaces? With
hot-swapping a line card? With TCP MD5?

These are the questions I ask myself when I pick a routing platform.
Cheap is of no use to me if it does not do what I need.

Michel.