/24s run amuck

Patrick W.Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Jan 13 17:26:59 UTC 2004

On Jan 13, 2004, at 9:58 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> Deaggregation is at an all time high, I have raised this publically in
>> some forums and IXP ops lists. Response is poor, action is
>> non-existent.
>>
>> The only way I can see to do anything about this is for upstreams to
>> educate their customers and others to pressure their peers.
>
> or just filter

Unfortunately, most customers expect connecting to the entire Internet,
not just the parts that are smart and courteous enough to aggregate.
Since most networks are in business to make money, they do what their
customers want.  Unless all networks filter alike, customers will
migrate to the ones with the "best" connectivity.  Given that some
networks cannot even aggregate properly, I submit it is impossible to
get all networks to filter alike.

Deaggregation is annoying, rude, and silly, but it does not actually
stop me my data getting from point A to point B.  Disconnectivity
between me and someone else on the Internet, whether they are
aggregating properly or not, is not why I pay my transit provider.  If
I can't get there, you don't get paid.

This is a serious issue, since "Tier 1" networks have been huge
deaggregation culprits in the past.  I think China Telecom topped the
latest CIDR report, and lots of people want to talk to the billion-plus
end users over there.

So perhaps we should find a better way to encourage aggregation than
hurting our business and customers?  Anyone have a suggestion?  Maybe
public humiliation at NANOG? :)

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. Before you tell me the Internet will crash if we do not slow or
reverse the table growth, just don't.  It might, it might not, but it
certainly will not happen tomorrow or even this year.  After hearing
the doomsday prognostications over the table growth for close to a
decade now without the Internet falling over, it's just getting old.