/24s run amuck

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 11:12:39 UTC 2004

Deaggregation is at an all time high, I have raised this publically in some
forums and IXP ops lists. Response is poor, action is non-existent.

The only way I can see to do anything about this is for upstreams to educate
their customers and others to pressure their peers.

Two primary reasons are given, one is for traffic engineering purposes to either
control the ingress of traffic or to allow a network to function with critical
links down and the other is to allow blocks to be dropped to mitigate the
effects of a DDoS, I dont believe either justify the deaggregation of large
aggregates into Nx/24s and that a large driver is to make your network look
larger than it is...

Steve